Why does your child have a Knowledge Organiser?
Knowledge Organisers show your child everything that they need to know for that particular topic of study. It is the ‘big picture’ of what knowledge they will be taught by the end of the topic. It will give them an excellent understanding of the topic they are studying and to understand the expectation by the end.
How will the teachers use it?
- Teachers may set homework to learn parts of the Knowledge Organiser or set tasks from what is on there.
- Teachers may use the Knowledge Organiser in lessons to support the new knowledge being taught and to encourage independent learning skills.
- Teachers may give low stake quizzes which will test your child’s recall of the current knowledge but also previous knowledge as the year progresses.
How can you support your child to utilise this resource?
- Encourage your child to use the Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check system to learn the information.
- Encourage your child to complete any support or challenge tasks.
- Help your child to recall information by quizzing them or giving them spelling tests.
- Promote independent study especially towards the end of the half term when assessments usually take place in lessons.
How you can help students at home:
In order for every student to achieve their potential it is important that study becomes part of their life; not just in school but at home. Meaningful home learning includes homework, but it also encompasses all the conversations and experiences that parents or carers expose their children to. We hope that this booklet can contribute to your child’s success in the following ways:
- Improve parents’ knowledge of the curriculum by including a subject by subject breakdown of learning throughout the year
- Develop study strategies and support for home learning
- Emphasise the importance and value of homework
- Provide ideas for discussions and practical ways to extend learning
- Give tips on how to safely access effective online support for learning
- Highlight the importance of independent reading
We hope you find this information useful and that it improves our communication with you about our curriculum.
Here are a few websites which you may find helpful: